March 19, 2009

In Just Five Minutes

I just wanted to share a poem/tribute that Steve wrote for our little niece, Sofia.  The day after Sofia passed away Steve needed to get his thoughts on paper and this is what he wrote:

In Just Five Minutes

People come and People go
But in five minutes can you measure someone's soul?

Life comes at you like waves on a stormy sea
My soul does hunger, I cry and plea
Why must she be set free?

My heart beats fast, but yet hers is still.
It doesn't make sense, and probably never will.
It's like climbing a never ending hill.

But what I feel is strong and deep
So why, this little one, can't we keep?

It was such a short moment in time, so how could I know her?
Because I feel her through her father, sister, brother, her mother.

For the first time and last time, I get to hold
But somehow she whispers, and I am told...

What do I do, What can I say,
She speaks to my heart..."Do not dismay
Life is more than Living from day to day!"

She reminds me of things to come and that things must be
I am a BETTER PERSON because of her, you see,
So Yes!  In five minutes you can measure a soul...I Believe!

Her Touch, Her Smell, Her Smile, Her Hair, Her Cry,
But whether a Lifetime, One Week, or in just five minutes,
What she's done will never die.

We Love You, Sofia.

Steve met Sofia for the first time and last time when he went to Primary Children's Hospital to be with his sister, Alysha after hearing the news that Sofia had been life flighted to Primary Children's.  She touched us all in her short life and we are all better people because of her.  

We attended her viewing and graveside service a week ago this past Tuesday.  It was beautiful, but heart wrenching.  Steve wrote this poem to be able to get his thoughts on paper and Alysha wanted him to read it at the service, so he did.  April composed a beautiful song for Sofia which was played and while it was played everyone let go of pink and white balloons.  Sofia's mom and dad, Alysha and Chris, and sister Marissa, and brother Bryson all said some beautiful words.  Sofia will always be in our hearts.  

3 comments:

Cade said...

That was beautiful. We are so sad to hear about your loss.

Jill said...

What a beautiful poem Steve!

Michelle Stott said...

Wow, that poem is beautiful and it made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss. It is often hard to understand why things happen in our life but we must trust in the lord. I have sure learned that in my life.

That shoe story about J.J. was so cute. I am glad you found the shoe and good luck keeping them on his feet.